Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Now Serving: Chap's Pit Beef

Captions via highlowfooddrink.com
My voyage for the best Burger in Baltimore will occasionally have me thinking outside the box. This forward thinking led me here, to Chap's pit beef. Many will argue they have the best pit beef in town, and anytime Food Network rolls through Charm City, they usually send a host with a bubbly personality (and sometimes outrageous hair) to their shack to sample the goods. Chap's has become a tourist destination, and I feel some of this novelty is reflected in their prices. I don't know their overhead, and having been there countless times for their sandwiches (my personal favorites are "The Habbit" or "The Tricom"), I can attest it's good. Perhaps worth the cost. But, they are located in the parking lot of a strip club.
 
Today though, it's the Larry Burger. Larry apparently likes Swiss Cheese and Bacon, because that's what comes on the Larry Burger. And that's all. I could have got it with some traditional toppings (lettuce, tomato, you know, stuff usually included on a burger), but they cost extra, and I'm not playing that game. I'm still heading to the toppings bar, and covering it in their signature "Tiger Sauce", a Horseradish and mayonnaise blend. 




Warm all the way through
The burger itself is very thick, and I expected it to be that way. They are generous with their portions. I unwrap it from its foil, and again from its deli wrap, and it's thick and black. I'm familiar with cooking beef over a pit, and I'm fearful I'm about to bite into a hockey puck. 

This is not the case. The charr on the burger is near perfect, creating a crunch on the corners, and a warm temperature all the way through. Really capturs the flavor of the grill. Bacon coiled and crispy. Every ingredient in every bite. The Tiger Sauce gave it that extra kick.

Is this a game changing burger? No.
Is this something I want to eat after skipping breakfast and grabbing a late lunch. Without question. It's a big thick burger that will fill you up. I am not disappointed.

Side note: Got to watch "Chef" over the weekend. If you love food as much as I, go rent it. It spoke to my heart and stomach in a very parallel way. 









No comments:

Post a Comment