Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Now Serving: DelMarVa Southern Cafe

In doing this blog, I've tried to bounce around different neighborhoods, but I seem to end up back in Canton. Living in East Baltimore County, it's the first stop driving through downtown. With all the well reviewed restaurants, dive bars, etc, I could spend 6 months there eating and still not hit everything. I've got a bit of a game plan in finding the best Baltimore Burger, but plans can detour or derail.

It's no longer coming soon, it's here
Last week, on a whim, I made a visit to DelMarVa Southern Cafe on Boston St. They have 2 other locations in Virginia. I'm not reviewing those. This is a Baltimore based blog, and that wouldn't make any sense, though I'm sure their standards here translate down there. That does make sense. I was here on a Thursday or Friday. I remember this because they love burgers so much, they have burger night on both Thursday & Friday. That's my kind of place.

Now, aside from their burgers, their entire menu is pretty impressive. Comfort food with core ingredients primarily crafted in house, including sauces.

The burger, however, I ordered was the Salsa Burger. An appropriately sized patty, topped with fresh salsa, Swiss and avocado (which as a personal choice, I left off, not my thing). This was a tough decision, because the Bacon Burger is topped with a Bacon Marmalade, which sounds incredible. I did have a recent bad experience with a bacon burger, which influenced my choice.

The Salsa burger was outstanding. A top flight restaurant quality burger with a reasonable cafĂ© price. You could really taste the freshness of the homemade salsa. Big explosion of taste in my mouth. Glancing over the menu, I didn't see anywhere else where it shows up. It's very possible the salsa was made to order. I'm not overselling the salsa, and I hope by this, I'm not underselling the burger. (And I apologize for not getting the salsa in the burger picture. I included a comparable looking bowl of salsa.) I'm sure if avocado is your thing, it would have complimented it very well. I'd love to go back here, burger night or not, and try another.
Picture this under the bun.

Additionally, I don't talk about this enough, but they were very good about the burger not touching the bun. Without sounding OCD, the bun of a burger is sacred. If ingredients are there, they should be on both sides of the beef patty, so as to not compromise the bun. It's one of those things you take for granted, like breathing, or the fact the weather channel has "Local on the 8's".






No comments:

Post a Comment