Monday, November 24, 2014

Now Serving: Kooper's Tavern

I hate Fells Point.

I hate driving in Fells Point.

Fells Point is pretty great. It's vibrant. Loads of great bars and restaurants and shops. The gentle breeze off the water cools things in the dog days of Baltimore summer. The unforgiving cobblestone road on Thames and surrounding streets, however, is enough to make me want to avoid it all together. Though, without the wicked cobblestone, it would take away from one of the best places to watch the Sunday "Walk of Shame". Especially if someone ventures into the cobblestone in 4 inch heels.

Commentary aside, my Burger quest led me to Fells this week. I parked on Aliceanna, wisely avoiding the cobblestone, and walked into Kooper's Tavern. They're located across from one of the most famous fake police stations in TV history, and are widely regarded as one of the best burgers in town. I'd never eaten here, and I arrived on an empty stomach.

Feeling like splurging a bit, I ordered the most expensive burger on the menu, Billy's Wagyu. Wagyu, if you don't know, literally translates into "Japanese Cow". It possesses great taste and is known for having predominately monosaturated fats, which in small quantaties, can help lower cholesterol. I know what some of you are thinking. A Burger that's healthy, and isn't a weak ass Turkey Burger? Not exactly, but it's better for you. I know what the rest of you are thinking. Stop trying to be PBS and show me the damn burger.


One bite into this burger tells me this was a carefully planned and thought out. This was no accident. Each ingredient dynamic, and complimentary of each other, while not drowning the other out. The bun, so soft. The beef, perfectly cooked with just a little seasoning. The applewood bacon, thick and crisp. The arugula, zesty. And topped with garlic cream cheese. I felt like I was committing a sin while I was eating it. So much happening in my mouth at the same time, it was incredible. Easily one of the best burgers I've ever had. It's days later, and I still have daydreams about it. Even the Yellow Tail Ale I had with it was fantastic (and for those of you who have an iron lover like myself, their beer selection is pretty impressive.)

Koopers has several locations. If you have as much a disgust for cobblestone as I do, visit them in Timonium, in Jacksonville FL when visiting your retired grandparents, or (and here is the best part) their mobile food truck  makes regular stops around Mt. Vernon, Hopkins and Downtown. You haven't any excueses left. Put this on your burger bucket list.

But my recent burgergasm aside, there are many more top restaurants in the area that tout they are the best. And I won't stop until I've tried them all. Or until a medical professional advises me otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment