Thursday, June 28, 2018

Now Serving: Peter's Pour House


Stop! You're embarrassing yourself. 
So...it's been a while. And a lot has changed. The landscape in Baltimore's "Burgeropolis" is very different. Some of the restaurants I've been to have since closed. Some are fortunate enough to have expanded. Some international pancake houses have even flipped their P in hopes of making a dent in the burger game. Yes, I called it a game.

But, the one thing that hasn't changed: My quest to find the best burger in Baltimore. (and possibly points beyond). Yes, it is a tough job, eating delicious beefy and cheesy masterpieces, but I'm up for the challenge. 

With other places with strong reputation already covered, figuring out a place to go is of utmost importance. 

So, I went to Google. I decided to figure out where "Baltimore" is. I mean, I know where Baltimore is. I've lived in the metro area my entire life. But Google knows more than me. And according to Google, Baltimore is the intersection of Calvert and Fayette streets, right at the Battle Monument
Baltimore, I found you. 

And the closest spot to "Baltimore" is Peter's Pour House, just a mere 2 blocks away. "Peter's" touts being a local bar that also caters to tourists and business crowd. A Family owned joint offering good food at reasonable prices, which is exactly the type of place I'm seeking out. They also offer cheap 32 oz drafts all day, which makes me happy too. But this isn't Baltimore Beer Blog, this is Baltimore Burger Blog, and I won't let your affordable libations cloud my judgement. 

I stopped here before a O's game this week with my brother. Just before 5 midweek, ahead of the post work/pre game crowd. We find a 4 top in the back of the house, juxtaposed between the digital jukebox and a large framed drawing of a lion with a glorious mane with Suffagate City lightly playing in the background. We order our food while the bartender has a conversation with a self professed PBR snob, and how hipsters have ruined his favorite beer. Not gonna lie, I really feel at home here.
King of the jungle

Today, I opt for a Bacon Cheeseburger, and one of those 32 oz beers. Something basic without frills. And without onions, because raw onion doesn’t belong on a burger. And red onion doesn’t belong on the planet. Burger arrives open face style, with a handful of crispy fries. The burger topped with bacon, then covered with 2 slices of cheese: one yellow, one white, melted together to create one unstoppable unit of meaty cheesy goodness. The other side with problematic veggies. One thick sliced tomato, and a wedge of lettuce just as thick. Mayo on the side in a cup that even for someone as embarrassingly white as I am is just far too much.

Let's have a closer look...
 Everything works well on the meat and cheese side. Burger cooked to the perfect temperature. Bacon is fall apart crispy, crumbles effortlessly breaking apart in your mouth. My pallet was unable to identify what types of cheese was included. Separately, very well could have, but together, both just work together. Probably because it's white and yellow american, but I can't be sure. Served on a very fresh and soft un-toasted bun. I had to ditch the veggies after a few bites. Really just wasn't working, but I'm not a big enough burger snob to hold it against.

All in all, very glad I stopped in. If I lived/worked in the neighborhood, this would clearly be my neighborhood bar. I just don't see myself going out of my way to feed my cravings. But if you do find yourself around the area, you should stop by. It's literally right in the middle of Baltimore, and really helps define what a bar in Baltimore is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment