Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Now Serving: Wayback Burgers

Short and to the point this week. None of that touchy emotional stuff like last week.

In my search for the best burger in Baltimore, occasionally, I do come across a national chain that has a small footprint in the area. Wayback Burgers is one of those chains. They have shops scattered all across the country, but just 2 in the old line state (Parkville and Bel Air).Touting a little bit more than the shop I was at last week, They have a handfull of signature burgers in addition to the build your own option. The menu also has some other classics like their chicken sandwich (grilled and fried), cheese-steak sub and fish. But we're putting the poultry on hold. After all, this isn't Baltimore Chicken Blog, this is Baltimore Burger Blog. Don't forget it.


Don't let the chip tower mislead you. This burger came to play.
I'm a sucker for a specialty burger, and was in the mood for something cheesy. Fourtunately enough, when I make my way to the counter past their merch, Wayback has the "Cheeeesy" (yes, that's 4 e's). 4 slices of american, 2 beef patties, on a flipped and buttered bun. Why complicate something with lettuce, tomato and other toppings when I just want some beef and cheese like the alpha male I aspire to be. Also, since the sides are critical, I get some Irish nachos. Yummy fried potato chips topped with chili and cheese, because I guess the beef and cheese I was already getting would not be enough to satisfy my craving.

Up close and personal with all that cheese
My meal arrives, and visually, all my expectations are met. Melty white cheese dominating a toasty bun. Chips stacked high, looking just as delightfully gooey. First bite of the burger is savory. Beef still very juicy. No greasy drippy mess like last week. "Nachos" are crisp, nothing has had the time to become soggy. Initial thought: This is exactly what I want to eat at 3 in the morning. This is hangover food at it's finest.

I'm now a big raving fan. Really want to do a return visit to try more sides, and more burgers aside from this, possibly the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had. Best burger in Baltimore? Nah. Will it hit the spot and make you a raving fan? I stake my reputation on it.

For now though, I've had enough of the burger shacks. Time to get back into the serviceable spots. The dive bars. The locally owned. The shacks are great, but really want to test my energy outside of the chains.



No comments:

Post a Comment